Improving Health Care through Medical Education
Past Event Photos
Post a Position
Post a Position
Surgery Program Director
Ascension Providence Hospital, Southfield Campus and Novi Campus in SE Michigan is actively seeking a new Program Director – General Surgery. Ascension Providence Hospital, Southfield Campus and Novi Campus is part of Ascension St John Providence, a top-tier health care ministry within Ascension Health, the largest Catholic health care system
in the United States.
The Program Director – General Surgery has overall responsibility for the activities of the General Surgery residency program at both campuses. The Southfield Campus is located at 16001 W. 9 Mile Road, Southfield, MI and the Novi Campus is located at 47601 Grand River Ave, Novi, MI. Collectively, the two campuses comprise of 565 patient beds and serve patients in at least three counties.
This is a highly visible position which reports to the Director of Medical Education Designated Institutional Official (DME/DIO) with additional reporting relationship to the Chair of General Surgery. The role consists of approximately 75% administrative and 25% clinical time. Unique highlights about the Department of General Surgery include:
• A substantial cadre of employed and private practice physicians committed to education
• ACGME accredited program with approval for 24 residents (15 categorical and 9 preliminary) over a five-year cycle
• Institutional affiliations with Michigan State University College of Human Medicine (MSU-CHM) - Southeastern Michigan Clinical Campus, Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine and the American University of the Caribbean
Responsibilities for the position include but are not limited to:
• Insures compliance with ACGME program requirements
• Implements policies and procedures consistent with institutional and program-specific requirements, including selection, evaluation and promotion of residents, disciplinary action and supervision of residents
• Oversees and ensures the quality of didactic and clinical education at designated training sites
• Approves the selection of program faculty as appropriate, evaluates program faculty and approves the continued participation of program faculty based on evaluation
• Assists the DME/DIO in organizing and implementing faculty development and continuing medical education activities for surgeons practicing at this medical center
• Implements a program for research and advance scholarship for faculty and trainees
• Participates as a member of the Ascension Providence Hospital GME Committee
• Understands organizational dynamics and demonstrates fiscal responsibility. Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to communicate with clarity and transparency with private practice and employed physician groups toward a common goal, and a strong commitment towards improving quality and patient safety, clinical care, teaching, and resident research activities
• Other responsibilities as assigned by DIO
Qualifications for the Program Director – General Surgery include:
• MD/DO and board certified in General Surgery
• Meets medical licensure requirements in the State of Michigan
• At least 5 years’ experience as General Surgery teaching faculty
• Previous experience as an Associate Program Director a plus
for clinical faculty appointment at the affiliated MSU-CHM
• Demonstrated excellence in patient care, passion for teaching, clinical research, and program leadership
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit their CV in confidence to
Carol Rash, Physician Recruitment Specialist at Ascension Michigan by Friday January 4, 2019.
Phone: (248) 680-8023 | Email: email@example.com.